Announcements and Important Events
MEH Students Participating in the GMHS Athletic Program
Our extra-curricular activities are a vital part of our school division. Activities provide students opportunities to explore personal talents and interests, as well as make the school experience more enjoyable. Athletic teams at GMHS operate under the Virginia High School League (VHSL) regulations.
8th grade students at MEH may participate on GMHS sub-varsity teams when they meet all eligibility criteria and after a successful tryout.
- You must complete a VHSL Athletic Participation/Parental Consent/Physical Examination Form each year. The form must be completed AFTER May 1st to be valid for the next school year. There are no substitutes, exceptions or date waivers allowed!!
- You must meet VHSL requirements for Concussion Awareness and Education (information is available on the GM Athletic website).
- You must be an 8th grade student in good standing at Mary Ellen Henderson Middle School. Good standing will be defined by your school administrators and referrals/suspensions will prevent you from being in good standing.
- You will agree to abide by the GMHS Student Code of Conduct, the GM Athletic Department Handbook, and all team rules provided by your coach. When GM requires payment of an athletic fee, that fee will also apply to 8th grade participants.
- You must be currently taking 5 or more classes (you must be a full-time student at MEH).
- You must have passed 5 classes during the fall semester in order to be eligible for the spring semester.
- You can only be eligible to participate as an 8th grader during one school year. Students repeating 8th grade are not eligible to participate in GMHS athletic programs.
Fall Athletic Opportunities (practices begin as early as late July in some years – please check the GM athletic website. Family vacations are not an acceptable reason to miss tryouts or practices in August and will result in the loss of your opportunity to play!)
Football – Cheer (Sideline) – Volleyball (Girls) – Golf (as practice, non-competing members) – Cross Country (as exhibition participants), Field Hockey (Girls).
Winter Athletic Opportunities (Tryouts begin Nov 11, 2013)
Wrestling – Basketball – Swim (as exhibition participants, only as "space" allows and is not guaranteed from year to year) – Cheer (Sideline)
Spring Athletic Opportunities (Tryouts begin Feb 24, 2013)
Baseball – Softball (Girls) – Soccer (Boys and Girls) – Lacrosse (when participation numbers are high enough to have a sub-varsity team) – Track (as exhibition participants) – Tennis (Boys and Girls as practice, non-competing members)
Please contact the coach listed on the team page of this website for more sport-specific information about meetings, tryouts, off-season workouts, etc.