George Mason High School Athletic Boosters Association GO MUSTANGS!
2016 $1,000 GM Athletic Boosters Scholarship Winners
(left to right)
- Arnold Seigfried Scholarship for outstanding academics and athletics: Matt Mineo (Football, Wrestling, Track)
- Arnold Seigfried Scholarship for outstanding academics and athletics: Julia Ferris (Softball)
- Al Krueger Scholarship for individual sports: Miller Surette (Swimming)
- Al Krueger Scholarship for individual sports: Blaise Sevier (Cross Country and Track)
- Judy Lubnow Scholarship: Mary Catherine Donovan (Volleyball)
- Jack Gambill Scholarship for the outstanding senior athletes: Vicky Marie Addo-Ashong (Volleyball)
- Jack Gambill Scholarship for the outstanding senior athletes: Elliot Mercado (Basketball, Soccer)
The Boosters annually award one-time, $1,000 scholarships to graduating, college-bound senior student-athletes at the spring sports banquet. Scholarships are awarded based on criteria developed by the Boosters recognition committee. Scholarships are paid directly to the accredited college or university the student is enrolled at, prior to their freshman year. Currently there are six annual Boosters scholarships:
- Two Jack Gambill Scholarships are awarded, one each to a male and female senior athlete who participated in sports for four years and demonstrated leadership qualities. the scholarships are one-time awards of $1,000 each. Jack Gambill was for many years the GMHS athletic director and the football and baseball coach. One of his teams won a state championship team in baseball. The GMHS sports field complex is named in his honor.
- Two Arnold Siegfried Memorial Scholarships are awarded, one each to a male and female senior athlete who has attained a GPA of 3.25 and displayed good athletic ability. The scholarships are one-time awards of $1,000 each. Arnold Siegfried was the Director of Athletics at GMHS from 1970-1985 and for several years was boys varsity basketball coach.
- Two Al Krueger Scholarships are awarded, one each to a male and female senior athlete in an individual performance sport (golf, cross country, swimming, wrestling, tennis, or track and field) who exhibited outstanding athletic achievement. The scholarship is a one-time award of $1,000. Al Krueger taught at GMHS from 1970 to 1998 and was the boys varsity tennis coach for many years. His teams won seven state championships.
Scholarships must be redeemed within 24 months of award or they are subject to expiration. The Boosters will considering granting an extension to the 24 month period in extraordinary circumstances and upon written request. Students who do not enrollment in college the year after their senior year should notify the Boosters in writing of their plans.
The Boosters also recognize outstanding contributions of senior non-athletes who support GMHS athletics, such as student team managers, with ad hoc one-time scholarships.
GMHS Athletic Boosters members in good standing are eligible to serve on the recognition committee, which considers candidates and selects annual awardees. Contact the Boosters president to volunteer. Contributions toward Boosters scholarships are always welcome and donations can be made in the Mason Fan Shop.